As a nationally recognized subject expert, sustainability is the lens through which Carl views all dimensions of architecture. Carl emphasizes the importance of designing spaces with the understanding that people thrive in nature and need daylight, movement, fresh air, clean water, but are also social beings that seek engagement and fulfillment. Applying his extensive experience, he brings to projects leadership and pioneering ideas that bind together historical and environmental preservation. He's excited to see the ethic of stewardship extend from historic preservation to sustainability on diverse building types - from iconic buildings to vernacular and modern-era structures.
“The greenest building is one that’s already built.”
- University of Maryland, Bachelor of Architecture in Planning and Presentation, 1980
- 2018 AIA President
- College of Fellows, American Institute of Architects
- Association for Preservation Technology International
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Society for College and University Planning