The adaptive use of a 1915 warehouse signifies the Maryland Institute College of Art’s (MICA) commitment to the local community and stimulating the development of Baltimore's arts and cultural life.
The building, renamed to pay tribute to former, long-time President Fred Lazarus IV, was transformed from a non-descript warehouse into an anchor institution in a gritty neighborhood. Inside, the previous jumble of studios and isolated art departments was re-envisioned so that students, faculty, staff and the public have places to interact and collaborate.
"MICA has played a critical role in revitalizing its neighboring communities and in stimulating the development of Baltimore's arts and cultural life. Each of its facilities has creatively strengthened Baltimore and the College. The Graduate Studio Center project will not only mean cultural and economic revitalization for Station North; it will also be a huge boost to Baltimore's ability to position itself as a national center for creative innovation."
Mayor of Baltimore