This storied campus landmark, a former Carnegie Library, was renewed through a $15 million renovation project that transformed the auditorium into a first-rate music recital hall and restored the distinguishing rotunda and lobby.
Now home to UNC’s Music Department, Hill Hall was originally built in 1907 as the main campus library. The 455-seat auditorium now serves as UNC’s main recital venue with a professional stage and enhanced backstage areas, and renovated classrooms support music instruction and rehearsal.
A Center of Campus Culture
The modernization enhances the historic heart of the music department at UNC Chapel Hill and supports cultural life on campus. The newly named James and Susan Moeser Auditorium is not only home to the Music Department and its faculty, but also a regular venue for Carolina Performing Arts. The state-of-the-art hall provides a grand backdrop for a variety of classes, lectures, pre-professional training, assemblies, and recitals by the music program as well as professional performances.
Renewing the Rotunda
The light-filled rotunda serves as the main entry to the building and lobby for the auditorium. This hub is a defining feature of the historic structure. The rotunda itself was expanded and architectural details and finishes were renewed and enhanced to create a stately setting that can be used for receptions as well as small performances. Surrounding the rotunda are classrooms, offices and other spaces that serve the department of music. These high-quality environments are suitable for musical teaching, rehearsal, and performances by the more than 400 students currently enrolled in the department.